In the early 13th century the village was mentioned under the name Tolna and it was the property of the family Katha. The oldest report of the vineyards in southern Zemplín is the charter of the Hungarian King Bela IV. from 1248. The oldest medieval document which identifies the community Malá Tŕňa is from 1390. Reports of vineyards in the environs of the village are from 1475.